ISO 27001: the international information security standard
What is ISO 27001?
ISO 27001 (ISO/IEC 27001:2013) is the international standard that describes best practice for an ISMS (information security management system). Achieving accredited certification to ISO 27001 shows you are following international information security best practice.
A copy of the official ISO 27001 standard can be purchased from IT Governance here >>
Need help with your ISO 27001 project?
For expert advice, contact our team of ISO 27001 consultants for obligation-free guidance today.
Speak to an expert
What is an ISMS?
An ISMS is a system of processes, documents, technology and people that helps to manage, monitor, audit and improve your organisation’s information security to achieve business objectives.
An ISO 27001-compliant ISMS helps to manage all your security practices coherently, consistently and cost-effectively.
Find out how to implement an ISMS >>>
Why has implementing ISO 27001 in GCC countries become essential?
Cyber crime is on the rise in GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries. The IBM 2017 Cost of Data Breach Study found that the average data breach costs organisations in the Gulf and Middle East a staggering US$5.31 million (around 19.92 SAR) – the second-highest worldwide.
It is therefore imperative that GCC organisations have strategies in place to protect themselves against this growing threat.
Implementing an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS will help to improve information security practices and protect information assets – something that is vital to their survival.
Certification to ISO 27001 across the Middle East has grown significantly over the past five years. Below is the percentage increase of achieved certificates in 2017 compared with 2012 in GCC countries (ISO Survey):
Advantages of ISO 27001 certification:
Avoid the financial penalties and losses associated with data breaches.
Comply with requirements like the technical and operational elements contained in the GDPR.
Meet strict client demands for greater data security.
Demonstrate that you have taken the necessary steps to protect your business.
Learn more about the advantages of ISO 27001 certification >>
How to implement an ISO 27001–compliant ISMS
Implementing an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS will include the following elements:
- Get board commitment and secure a budget
- Review and implement the required controls
- Develop internal competence
- Develop management system documentation
- Identify interested parties, and legal, regulatory and contractual requirements
- Conduct staff awareness training
- Scope the project
- Measure, monitor, review and audit the ISMS
- Conduct a risk assessment
- Get certified
Discover our ISO 27001 implementation checklist and solutions here >>
How IT Governance can help organisations in the GCC countries
We understand that every organisation is different; we can support you with ISO 27001 implementation through our variety of resources.
These ISO 27001 resources will give you more information about the Standard and the benefits of certification, as well as guiding you through the key steps of implementing an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS:
Download free information on ISO 27001
Shop our full range of ISO 27001 products and services
Why choose us?
- IT Governance has more than 15 years’ experience supporting organisations implementing ISO 27001.
- We are ready to support smaller organisations achieve accreditation in just three months.
We specifically offer:
- Several compliance tools, packaged solutions and online training courses designed to suit your organisation’s requirements;
- Consultancy to your organisation to help you achieve success; and
- A pricing structure that meets your organisation's needs with no hidden costs.
Let’s get started on your ISO 27001 project
Whatever the nature or size of your problem, we are here to help.
For more advice or guidance on implementing ISO 27001, please contact our team below.