The latest ISO Survey results are in for 2017 and ISO 27001 certifications in Saudi Arabia have risen by 10% in the past year.
Although this is a slightly lower increase than the Middle East’s total growth at 13%, this shows significant improvements for Saudi organisations choosing to adopt the international information security standard, ISO 27001.
ISO 27001 describes the requirements for an ISMS (information security management system), a best-practice approach that incorporates people, processes and technology to protect valuable information, and recognises that information security is not about technology alone.
Why has ISO 27001 certification increased in Saudi Arabia?
ISO 27001 has grown steadily over the past decade in Saudi Arabia, as well as generally across the Middle East region.
Globally, the number of ISO 27001 certificates has increased by a staggering 410% over the past ten years, reaching a total of almost 40,000 in 2017.
This increase shows a growing understanding that protecting information assets is critical to any organisation’s survival.
The growth in certification can be seen as a response to the rise in data breaches and cyber attacks in recent years. Saudi Arabia has been hit by a number of high-profile breaches, including:
- The Shamoon virus, which wiped thousands of computers in Saudi Arabia’s civil aviation agency in 2016.
- Ride-hailing company Careem was hit by a data breach that compromised 14 million customers’ names, email addresses, phone numbers and trip data.
- A series of cyber attacks on petrochemical plants in Saudi Arabia, which crashed computers and wiped hard drives.
Benefits of ISO 27001 certification
Certification provides customers and stakeholders with genuine, independent assurance that organisations are taking the appropriate steps to deal with cyber risk.
ISO 27001 certification will also help organisations:
- Avoid the financial penalties and losses associated with data breaches;
- Comply with business, legal, contractual and regulatory requirements;
- Win new business and sharpen their competitive edge; and
- Reduce the need for frequent audits.
Saudi National Day offer: save on ISO 27001 certification essentials
If your organisation does opt to certify its ISMS to ISO 27001, IT Governance’s ISO27001 Certified ISMS Lead Implementer Online course equips you with the skills you need to plan, implement and maintain an ISO 27001 ISMS.
It provides indispensable information to prepare for your certification audit and ensure that you pass first time.
Alternatively, please call our team on +971 56696 7974, quoting the National Day offer.