At IT Governance we often talk about the benefits of obtaining ISO 27001 certification, but there are many more immediate benefits associated with implementing an ISMS (information security management system).
Below is an explanation of what an ISMS is and nine reasons why you should implement one.
What is an ISMS?
An ISMS is a system of processes, documents, technology and people that helps to manage, monitor, audit and improve your organisation’s information security.
ISO 27001 is the international standard that provides the specification and requirements for implementing an ISMS.
An ISO 27001-aligned ISMS helps you coordinate all your security practices in one place, consistently and cost-effectively.
9 reasons to implement an ISMS
To help you understand why you should implement an ISMS, we’ve summarised the key benefits:
- Helps protect all forms of information, including digital, paper-based, intellectual property and personal information.
- Increases resilience to cyber attacks.
- Provides a framework for keeping your organisation’s information safe and managing it all in one place.
- Offers organisation-wide protection from technology-based risks and common threats such as ineffective procedures.
- Helps respond to evolving security threats both in the environment and inside the organisation.
- Reduces costs associated with information security.
- Protects the confidentiality, integrity and availability of data with a set of policies, procedures, and technical and physical controls.
- Ensures timely resumption of information and critical business processes.
- Improves company culture and enables employees to embrace security controls as part of their everyday working practices.
To find out how to get started with implementing an ISMS aligned to ISO 27001, download our free green paper Implementing an ISMS – The nine-step approach >>
Essential resources to implement an ISO 27001 ISMS
July’s book of the month bundle, The ISO 27001 Expertise Bundle, provides you with the essential resources from ISO 27001 experts to develop your understanding of the Standard and help gain buy-in for an ISMS.
This cost-effective bundle includes:
- A must-have guide for presenting the compelling business case for ISO 27001 investment;
- A pocket guide to understand the possible breach scenarios your organisation could face and the true costs involved;
- An indispensable book to equip you with the sales skills you need to persuade the board to invest in information security; and
- An expert guide to help you get to grips with the Standard and make your ISO 27001 implementation project a success.